Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 25 - Friday, I'm in Love

Oooo baby - this is a TOTAL TGIF day. Up until this week, all the days have kind of blended together and before I knew it, the weekend was here... but this has been a very distinctly LONG week. I'm not sure if it's the weather, the seemingly 20 hours dark every day, the recent stress of buying a house, the fact that we're ramping up for Christmas at work and things are getting insanely busy -- or if I'm just having a mini pity party that I need to get over. But whatever the reason, I'm super glad Friday has arrived.

I guess this is just a little reminder for me that I'm not entirely bullet proof just yet. Darn eh? Mornings are still tough, and workouts are still killer. But I will give myself a little pat on the back (as soon as I can lift my arms again) - because today we did a lot more work with weights than we did the rest of the week, and I definitely noticed a difference in strength and stamina. I kept setting the weights at what I've been used to, and then a couple reps in, realized "This is too easy. OMG...YAY!". Even without the weights - the core work we were doing would have flat out leveled me a few weeks ago. Today, it hurt, it ached, it burned - but I can muddle through it now. I can push harder, for longer.

There is still a looooooooong way to go. Given that I've only just cracked double digits on the free weights, and I'm kind of maxed out around 20lbs on the machines - there's so much room for growth. I'm feeling a little like the Tortoise with slow and steady but I'm so beyond okay with that. I saw this on George Takei's facebook, and it was just too perfect not to share:


And then every so often, BAM a day like today! Oh I was still draggin' some serious butt - I sure wasn't a bouncing ball of energy. But there were moments of pseudo-glory where I didn't feel like I was going to fall over, or I could do 5 mountain climbers/jack knives in a row on the TRX instead of the 1 (or none) that I could do at the beginning. Today I could do deadlifts with 20lbs of weights on the bar. Last time we did them, I could barely do the bar on its own. I ran the stairs with 10lb weights instead of nothing. I did renegade rows with 12lbs instead of 8lbs. It's slow and steady and awesome.

I'm all about recycling material this week (because I'm tired and lazy - and not ashamed to admit it... plus there really are some things that don't sink in until you hear them a few times). So I will leave you with another quote for your wall of "Why bother...":

No matter how slow you go - you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment