Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 43 - And then there were 2...

Time flies when you're having... well I can't really call it 'fun' exactly, but in a way it sort of is once you 'learn to love the burn'. I'm somewhat amazed that I've come this far, and am now so close to the end of this challenge. I WILL find the measuring tape in a box tonight, so I can do a final recap of progress this weekend I swear. Just tomorrow and Friday left before I close out this 9 week experience.

I wish I had something inspiring to share, but as this has become a fairly regular routine now, I'm finding less and less to write about which is disappointing because this was such a huge part of the experience for me in the beginning. Now it's just kinda 'keep on keepin' on'. I don't want to write just for the sake of writing - I want to share something significant and motivational.

There was something new last week though, and I can't remember if I just thought about it, or if I wrote about it. Probably should have checked my last couple posts before I started into this story, but the holiday season is here, and I don't have time! :-P So forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

Last week, we had a brand spankin' new member in the FitCamp class. She was wide eyed and completely overwhelmed. Intimidated by the workout we were about to undertake (frankly, I was too as Kendra likes to throw in some more or less insurmountable tasks every once in a while... but at least it doesn't shock me anymore). She was understandably unable to complete some of the exercises and needing to take breaks during the sets. As I watched, I saw a mirror of myself from a mere 30 some classes ago. I smiled sympathetically, and encouraged her to try modified versions of each exercise she was struggling with. I told her "This was me, a few weeks ago. I promise, it gets better." I won't say it gets easier, because it doesn't... if it's easy, then you're not pushing yourself.
(Please note... this is not me. My hair is lighter.)

As I ground through that workout while watching our newbie - for the first time I really saw the progress I'd made. The warm-up doesn't leave me huffing and puffing and a purple sweaty mess anymore. (See day 1 when I thought I was SO screwed). I've upped my weights across the board, and don't even look at the 5lb dumbbells anymore, even though at the beginning I thought they may as well have been a half ton truck for my ability to lift them at the end of an upper body set. The thought of 'a minute of burpees' still makes me want to throw up a little, but only because there's no way I'll ever like burpees. But I can do it. (Albeit reluctantly). I've even more than doubled my 'row' weight on the machines, which earned me an "Atta girl!" from Chris! That was a triumphant moment.

So I guess mentally this is where I am at the moment: I'm not the new kid in class anymore. It wasn't an easy battle, but I've fought my way to somewhere in the middle and that's awesome as far as I'm concerned. I've progressed enough to be proud, but still have so much room to grow that I'll stay motivated and hungry for more. It's a good place to be. The flipside is that it takes away my excuses to slack. I KNOW I can make it through these workouts now, so I can't let up anymore. When I do, I'm being a wuss, not pacing myself.

I truly hope that all those who are just beginning their journey realize that it is just the beginning. There will be lots of help along the way, and if ever you feel alone in your crusade - know that you aren't. Never get discouraged if you're not making the progress you feel you should. That there are people stronger, faster, leaner than you. Eventually, the new kids will be looking up to you instead. But for now - everyone has to start somewhere. The important thing is that you start at all.



PS - This fitness thing is like the Mob. Or Hotel California. Once you're in this - there is no escape. While trying to spice up the blog using Thesaurus.com... check out the ad that appeared in the sidebar... My old nemesis - TRX. Made me laugh - which I guess, is better than the urge to cry. That was week 2.





2 comments:

  1. HI Bree, you are so great, well done with your results and your motivation. I love reading your stories, I can relate. I have been with Bodynetix for over 4 months now, and I know at the beginning I screamed "no frigging way" in my head, most okay ALL times I was told to run around both buildings, and do it 2 times. I still say crap all the time, but I do it, I am usually last or close to it, but it feels good accomplishing it. The excercise I need to modify for injuries, but I get through the whole class and do it all, the beginning I was lucky to get through half. I love class, I just have to remember that, when I don't want to go, cause the feeling good feeling afterwards is so great. I won't be doing a photo shoot anytime soon with Steve, but hopeful in the spring, muscle definition is starting, and the inches are dropping, but it all takes time, and getting health and strong, is the best motivation to continue. If I ever get to a 6am class maybe we will meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still modify a few exercises when my knees are bugging me, but I just started with a chiropractor, so hopefully those aches and pains will be gone soon!

      So glad you're enjoying and relating to the posts. I just saw the comment sent to Chris this morning, and I have a feeling we've all felt EXACTLY the same way, which is what makes it such a great experience to be there. Everyone's gone through the same stuff, and although we're all in different places, we all understand each other.

      Now that the challenge is wrapping up, I'll be trying out some different time slots as the busy holiday season takes over, so our paths will probably cross sooner rather than later!! Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to leave a note. :)

      Delete