Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 1 - What have I done???

*Alarm Clock* ---- followed immediately by "Oh dear God why."
Chug protein drink.
Grab lunch bag.
Gym bag.
Work bag.
Feeling like a sherpa, lugging all this stuff around.
WHOOPS - I still need a change of clothes...
5am sucks.

The first little niggling of worry set in when the 5 minute warm-up almost did me in. That worry continued when after the warm-up we had to run around the two buildings outside and I thought my lungs were on fire. More worry when I didn't even understand Chris' explanation of our training circuit. (Side note - that's a "my brain-no-work-in-the-morning issue", not a reflection on Chris!) It sure didn't stop when I looked at the sheet and realized this was the first of 10 stations... my shaking legs were screaming obscenities at my brain and arms were wet spaghetti.

"I'm hooped" was all I could think. "I've bitten off so much more than I can chew".

But while I was telling myself how I wasn't going to be able to do it.... I WAS DOING IT. So I switched gears. "Try this on for size... It's day freaking ONE princess... Suck. It. Up."

The best thing about Bodynetix is that you're only competing with yourself. Yes, there are others there - many faster, stronger, leaner, fitter... but they've been at this for a while. They're a glimpse into your future if you stick with it. The ages ranged from about 20-70. Fitness levels on a scale of 1-10, of 1 (me) to 15 (crazy marathon runner chick, like seriously, why are you even here???)

I geared down and told myself that today, my goal is to survive. It's not to finish first. It's to get my bearings, give what I've got, and still want to come back tomorrow.

And then - it was over.  While Chris counted down our last 30 seconds, the last 49 1/2 minutes disappeared from my mind. Day one complete. The strangest thing happened then. I THANKED him. We all did. It's like we've all got Stockholm syndrome - but the healthy kind! We thanked him for an hour of torture. And you know what? We'll all do it again.

For me - that 'again' is tomorrow. Day 2. The countdown is on.

Puffy, Purple, and Proud.
(Incidentally - that's a picture of Edison in the background with SUCH an appropriate quote for today: "Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.")

8 comments:

  1. "It's like we've all got Stockholm syndrome - but the healthy kind! We thanked him for an hour of torture. And you know what? We'll all do it again." So, so true:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? LOL We're all a bit twisted I think... :P

      Delete
  2. I always make it a point NOT to thank Chris in the morning. Or if I do, I make it a sarcastic thanks...Thanks a LOT Chris ;) He's a great trainer; no disputing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I seriously question my sanity. Again today - dripping sweat, purple faced, huffing and puffing... "THANKS MEGAN! Great class"... Gotta give my head a shake sometimes. :P

      Delete
  3. The first time I worked out with Bodynetix it was at Simms park. The "warm up" was to run the loop around the entire park. I was tempted to keep running until I hit home, lol. But you are right. The competition is against yourself and no one else. Every single person in that room either feels like or has felt like you did today. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao - oh man, I so totally know how you feel... yesterday when we were running around the outbuildings, I had to stifle the urge to just run right back out the parking lot and jump in my car. Too bad my keys were inside the gym...

      Delete
  4. I like your "can do" attitude! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...that's my mantra! Btw..I'm no where near the "marathon chick" but it want to be fab as I get older.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Mantra Deb. :) I try to tell myself that my body in 30 years will thank me for the pain I went through today... it's tough sometimes, but it's all about the bigger picture!

      Delete