Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 2 - Survival of the Fitless

*Alarm Clock* Nooooooo! *sob sob*

Snap, crackle, pop. No, I didn't eat Rice Krispies for breakfast this morning... those are just the noises my body made before my feet even touched the floor. Breakfast these days is a couple mouthfuls of vanilla rice milk with chocolate Vega protein powder and a teaspoon of flax oil. Woot. *sarcastic fist pump*

The second day of this adventure brought new people and new pain - (I have a muscle WHERE?). The gym was overpowered by the scent of "old man liniment"... but alas the origin of the odor was actually me. Sigh. Icy Hot, you've saved the day. Bring on the burpees. (If you don't know what a burpee is, consider yourself lucky).

Megan ran a totally awesome class today. I didn't push myself quite as hard as yesterday. It was more about working out the kinks from yesterday. Keeping things moving and stretching. Don't get me wrong, my heart rate was still up there, and the sweat was pouring, and I DID push... but part of this process is knowing your limits. When your muscles stop arguing with you, and it just becomes a flat out refusal - it's time to step back a bit.

Unfortunately, for someone like me, that's incredibly frustrating, so if you find yourself hitting a wall and getting discouraged - YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

This is kind of how the self-talk went today:
Brain: Hey leg, bend further.
Leg: Nope.
Brain: No really, we're supposed to be doing a squat to 90 degrees. BEND!
Leg: Screw you.
Brain: HEY! Listen up you limp piece of spaghetti, I said----
*Leg gives out and I hit the floor*
Brain: Fine. You win this round.

I am well aware that tomorrow will be the peak of the pain, and after that the recovery process will truly begin. Right now it's the rollercoaster pushing through the pain, feeling better, tightening up, pushing through the pain - lather, rinse, repeat.

So for the rest of today, it's all about proper fuel, hydration, recovery food, nourishing my muscles, and forgiving myself for not being able to keep up with the rest of the class this morning. Hopefully someone reading this will join the adventure at some point, and then THEY can be the new kid in class that feels a little defeated when they're not as quick, or strong, or tough. And then I'll be able to look at them, give 'em a high five and say "It gets better". Because I know it will. Tomorrow IS another day.

No picture today. You're welcome.

11 comments:

  1. Great Job Bre u are on your way to a healthier life trust me it does get easier ive been working out with a personal trainer since feb and trust me once u really get going on it your body will crave the exercise. Keep up the great work.

    Rootin for ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm actually already nervous about my two weeks away... I can feel the addiction setting in despite the pain haha. Keep fightin' the good fight yourself! We can root mutually. :)

      Delete
  2. It is an addiction...even though you may get stuck in the bathroom because your legs will hate you and not allow you to stand...been there..keep going back for more! Congrats on the first steps to the healthiest addiction there is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Hilarious that you mention the bathroom thing... In the "Too Much Information" Department, I was considering posting something about that haha. Almost got stuck this morning! Toooo funny. Glad I'm not the only one :P

      Delete
  3. I started at Bodynetix a few months ago. As I am reading your blog I feel as if you are stating my thoughts in the first few weeks of class, even now occasionally!:) When I was ready to give up after only 3 weeks due to the pain my body was feeling, someone approached me near the end of class and said "the pain only last so long but the results can last forever, you have to choose". I still have no idea who said that to me, my eyes were blurry and my head was pounding after each class! Thankfully they shared those words and months later I am still going 4 days a week. Good luck to you Bre! I have to share 2 sayings I have hung by my runners!
    "The voice in your head that says that you can't do this is a liar"
    "Sweat,is your fat crying"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sweat, is your fat crying" - is one of my absolute favourites. So glad someone's been there and done that, and kept going! I'm in it for the long haul no matter what, but I know the second I start seeing some real results, I'm going to be so elated that the pain will pretty much be erased from my memory.

      Congrats to you for sticking with it. Cyber-high-fives to you. It's so easy to quit...

      Here's a couple of my OTHER favourite quotes I'll share with YOU now :)

      "Finished Last", is better than "Did not finish", which trumps "Never Started".

      And -

      No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone sitting on the couch.

      Delete
  4. Pain is weakness leaving the body...

    It's not sweat, it's liquid awesome...

    The only way out is through...

    There's my quote contribution ;). Keep at it. I was in class with you this morning and you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG.. "Pain is weakness leaving the body"... do you have anyone military in your family?? That's my hubby's favourite saying! It's apparently a military mantra. :P

      Thanks for the support. Today definitely wasn't a "push" day for me, but there will be others. :) Rock on!

      Delete
  5. I love that "Finished last" is better than "did not finish". I've been with BodyNetix for almost 5 years and even when I'm first out the door for "Both Buildings" I almost always come in last. Difference is that these days - I'm not dreading that part of the workout any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we should be 'Both Buildings' running partners lol... I bet I could give you an un-run for your money at being last in the door... :P

      Delete
  6. okay, I love your writing. it's quite humorous!!

    mostly because I've been there. :)

    still chuckling over: Leg: "Screw you"

    ReplyDelete