Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 13 - Fly me to the Moon...

... let me play among the stars. (It'll make sense in a minute. Also, today is a bit of a departure from the FitCamp experience, but it all comes together in the end. 

Yesterday, I had an amazing visit with my friend, and Olympic Beach Volleyball Athlete - Martin Reader (find him on twitter @martinjreader). Nothing like a chat with someone who busted their butt for YEARS to reach their goals, to put a mere 2 1/2 weeks worth of working out into perspective. This guy knows work ethic. He knows what it means to earn your body, and reach your dreams.

When I first met Martin several years ago, he came to me with an idea for an event that he wanted the radio station to sponsor. The next time we met a few weeks later, the idea was a plan, and it was rolling fast. While we were working on the event together, he told me he was training for the Olympics. I came to the conclusion pretty quickly that this guy was a powerhouse both on and off the beach volleyball court. For the next several years I got to watch him rise through the ranks of Beach Volleyball around the world, following his incredible journey.

This summer, he achieved the mindblowing milestone of representing Canada at the London Games. Most of us can't even begin to fathom what that would be like. I never doubted he'd make it there, because from the moment I met him, he exuded confidence, and competence, and pure hard work. While we were chatting yesterday, he got a phone call from a company that wants to sponsor him. A company he'd been gunning for, for a long time. And they called him. It's amazing how the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Now he's on to about 100 different projects, while continuing to train - with eyes forward on more goals than I could even begin to count. No rest for the wicked... or the driven. (And because I realize it's mostly ladies reading this - this is for you)

I give you Martin Reader (There are more pics on his site :-P)

Okay, so that was my kick in the pants  yesterday, and now I'm down to my final 2 work outs before my trip. It seems a little piddley compared to all ^that^ stuff, but everyone's got to start somewhere, and this is my little personal podium to climb. After that, I can't very well complain about hamstrings that are tighter than an overtuned guitar. All I can think is how many squats, lunges, tricep dips, burpees, all of my least favourite things, did it take for him to get to London? I realize I'm not training for the Olympics, but I figure there are worse standards to push for, and as (yet another) one of my favourite quotes says:

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” 

Incidentally - small personal victory last night. I was given a dress last year that I never thought I'd fit into. Ever. Well lo and behold... it zipped last night. It's not quite right everywhere on the body just yet... but that doesn't take away from the fact that it freaking ZIPPED! So giving myself a pat on the (apparently less flabby) back for that one. Also kinda slapping myself for ever telling myself that I'd never be able to wear that dress. So don't do that. You want it - go get it. Work it. Earn it. Love it. Live it.

Okay fine... before I go, here's ONE more shot of Martin... er, I mean an inspirational picture of what hard work can accomplish when you want it bad enough... ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment