Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 23 - Head and shoulders, knees and toes...

No, today's title isn't a recipe for Hallowe'en Witches Brew - it's a line from the simple children's song - because I'm takin' it back to the basics this morning. The reason is, I'm learning that's all you really need when you want to get in shape. I really have to give credit where credit is due - and today, that credit is for Chris Ketch and his vision for Bodynetix.

Some people want fancy bowflex machines, and ellipticals, and a treadmill, and a full rack of dumbbells and weight belts, and 20 position adjustable weight benches, blah blah blah this list could go on forever. Today's workout involved a mat, and a single set of dumbbells - and quite often we weren't even using those. If you think for a second our workout was anything less than totally kick @$$, then you've got another think coming.We were challenged from head to toe several times over today (and every day).

You don't need to find a gym with the most high tech equipment, flat screen TVs, and latest cardio machines. What makes the workout is structure, and intensity. That's where we rely on our professional leadership. They take the 'thinking' out of the equation. We put our faith in them to guide us, and in turn, we get results. Do we ever. They also take interest in our progress and safety. Today my knees were bugging me after a high impact day yesterday. Chris came to check on me and make sure everything was alright. It's the attention to details like that, that you're not going to get from any machine, no matter how fancy.

So thank you Chris (and Megan, and Kendra, and my fellow FitCampers) for the constant motivation to move forward and strive for better, stronger, faster. I'm thinking Chris must have caught yesterday's post about squats burning more calories per rep than any other exercise, because we started the class today with 50 of them - so I saw it fitting to end the post with this sentiment, as it was the 'self talk' I had going on at about 6:05 this morning - (And for the record... DEFINITELY not me in the picture.... yet...)


Happy Hallowe'en! 
And tonight, remember - boils and ghouls - to burn off just ONE m&m, you need to walk the length of a football field. World's truest scary story.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always amazed by the sheer number of exercises that Chris can come up with using only the basics of equipment. The support and encouragement that you get from Chris and everyone at BodyNetix is why I keep with it.

    ReplyDelete